Decluttering before a move makes the packing and moving process smoother and brings numerous benefits to your physical and mental well-being.
We will explore the importance of decluttering before a move and list 15 things you can likely eliminate right now.
If you need an experienced, professional, and friendly moving company in or around London, ON (for local or long-distance moves and office moves), we at RJs Movers are always careful with your belongings, and we provide you with an accurate quote before your move. Call us at (519) 453 0768 or online.
2022 saw us win “Best of London” – Best Moving Company….an award we’ve been fortunate to win a number of times.
Creating Much-Needed Physical (and Mental) Space:
Decluttering allows you to create physical space by removing items you no longer need or use. Simultaneously, it provides mental space by reducing the feeling of overwhelm that can come from an accumulation of belongings. Moving into a new space with a clear mind and fewer physical possessions can positively impact your mental well-being.
Streamlining the Packing Process Before a Move:
When you declutter before a move, you significantly reduce the number of items you need to pack and transport. This streamlines the moving process, making it more efficient, less time-consuming, and less costly. By eliminating unnecessary belongings, you ensure that only the things you truly want and need make their way to your new home.
Saving Time and Money:
Moving is an excellent opportunity to assess your belongings and determine what is essential. Selling, donating, or discarding items you no longer require can help you save time and money. You can earn extra cash by selling valuable items and reducing moving costs by requiring fewer packing materials and a smaller truck.
Fresh Start, New Energy:
Moving into a new home offers a fresh start, and decluttering paves the way for new energy to enter your life. Letting go of old and unnecessary possessions allows you to create a space that aligns with your current lifestyle and aspirations, promoting a sense of renewal and positivity.
Reducing Stress Before a Move:
Clutter can be a significant source of stress. It can make it difficult to find things when needed and create a constant feeling of disarray. Decluttering before a move alleviates unnecessary stress and creates a calm and organized environment in your new home.
Positive Environmental Impact:
Decluttering before a move also allows you to make environmentally conscious choices. Donating unwanted items to charitable organizations or recycling them responsibly minimizes waste and contributes to a more sustainable future.
Now, let’s take a look at 15 things you can likely get rid of right now, before a move:
- Clothes that no longer fit or are out of style.
- Kitchen gadgets or appliances you haven’t used in the past year.
- Books you’ve read and are unlikely to read again.
- Expired medications and toiletries. Never put drugs/medications into the toilet/our water system. They end up in lakes where they have an extremely adverse effect on aquatic animals, and eventually, that water finds its way back into our homes. Always take old medications to any drug store where they are properly disposed of.
- Old, worn-out furniture that doesn’t serve a purpose.
- Electronics or gadgets that are outdated or no longer functional.
- Excess paperwork and old bills that can be digitized or shredded. Did you know you can dispose of a 7-year-old return every year?
- Broken or mismatched items that you have no intention of repairing.
- Unused or expired cleaning products.
- Duplicates of kitchen utensils and tools.
- Children’s toys they have outgrown or no longer play with.
- Old magazines and newspapers.
- Outdated or unused sports equipment.
- Knick-knacks and decorative items that may no longer hold meaning or spark joy.
- Extra bedding and linens that exceed your needs.
Decluttering before a move is an essential step that often goes underestimated. It allows you to create physical and mental space, streamlines the packing process, and saves time and money.